About the College of Matrons

Seth WardThe College, built and dedicated in 1682, was originally founded by Seth Ward, Lord Bishop of Salisbury, by a Foundation Deed dated 13th February 1683 (Old Style). That deed defined the objects of the College and the means whereby they would be achieved and remains in force, save to the extent that it has been subsequently adjusted and varied to take account of social changes. A translation of the Dedication Plaque over the front door can be found here.

The College is registered with the Charity Commission (201720) and is a registered Almshouse. The present Constitution is contained in a Scheme of the Charity Commissioners for England and Wales dated 9th March 1979, as varied by further Schemes dated 22nd July 1993 and 28th October 1996.

The Bishop of Salisbury is Visitor of the College and the Dean and Residentiary Canons are the Governors. Seven Trustees are responsible for the management of the assets of the College. Currently the Canon Chancellor of Salisbury Cathedral, The Reverend Canon Edward Probert, represents the Governors of the College and acts as the Chair of Trustees.

The College of Matrons is managed on a day to day basis by three staff: the part-time Steward (based in Salisbury), and two live in Wardens (one in Salisbury and one in Wilton).

Copyright © College of Matrons, Registered Charity No. 201720

Website by Cosmic